Thursday, May 22, 2008

American Idolatry

Last night was the "American Idol" season finale. I was with Rebekah's family, working on wedding invitations, and thinking.

I pondered and decided that I wanted to address one very big issue with "American Idol:" idolatry. I think that there are many reasons why Christians should steer clear of the show, but for the sake of brevity I will leave them out or discuss them at a later date.

Let's look at a few of the many commands of Scripture that tell us to not put any gods before the one true God:

"Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the Lord your God." -Leviticus 19:4

"You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God." -Leviticus 26:1

"Therefore watch yourselves very carefully. Since you saw no form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, beware lest you act corruptly by making a carved image for yourselves, in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water under the earth." -Deuteronomy 4:15-18

"I am the Lord; that is my name;
my glory I give to no other,
nor my praise to carved idols." -Isaiah 42:8

"But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one." -1 Corinthians 5:11

"Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry." -1 Corinthians 10:14

"What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,
'I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.'" -2 Corinthians 6:16

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." -Galatians 5:19-21

"Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming." -Colossians 3:5-6

"
Little children, keep yourselves from idols." -1 John 5:21

"You shall have no other gods before me." -Exodus 20:3

"You shall have no other gods before me." -Deuteronomy 5:7

Ok. Idolatry is no good according to God. Here is my concern. Look at Colossians 3:5-6 again. As Christians we are good at steering clear of sexual immorality, impurity, passion, and evil desire (or at least condemning them). We take many precautions against such sin. But the last one Paul mentions is "covetousness, which is idolatry."

Think about the exchange that occurs when watching "American Idol." Some of us wish to be that individual on the stage. We covet his or her position. "Boy, I wish I could sing like that," we say. While coveting that persons position in the world we commit idolatry. We are essentially saying, "God, I know what is best for me and it is what you did not make me." That, Paul says, is idolatry.

The other exchange is a little simpler. It is putting a any person or any thing in place of God. "American Idol" so blatantly does this. Everyone is so excited about these people singing. And in the process we elevate the creature above the Creator. Bad idea says Paul in Romans 1.

I know that I am picking on "American Idol" here. This exists in many more areas including Hollywood, sports, and basically any form of media. We elevate people and product to a status that is higher than God.

However, I do appeal to you in this manner: "American Idol" does not disguise its defiance of Biblical truth. Do not be deceived.

No comments: