Friday, May 02, 2008

Unemployed, But More Like Christ

It was a rough day.

Two weeks ago I interviewed for a job. A job that I was supposed to get. No problem. That's what I thought and that was the problem.

My certainty was my pride. I prayed about the job, but presumptuously. I was qualified, over-qualified even, from a worldly standpoint at least.

When I found out that I had not been selected for the job, I was surprised.

Then I thought to myself, "God has something better. Probably higher pay, more flexibility, or something fabulous." Hmmm.

Let's take that thought and break it down. "God has something better." Indeed that is true. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).

But what about the higher pay, more flexibility, something fabulous part? Well, it may not work that way. Jesus says, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:19-21). Yeah. I can work with that. But now combine the two notions.

What does God have that is better? Jesus Christ. What is my treasure? Jesus Christ. Not money. Not flexibility. Not fabulous earthly stuff. "For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He may be the firstborn among many brothers" (Romans 8:29). That's better.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:8-9

"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'" -1 Peter 1:13-16

I guess that I needed to be reminded of these things and humbled. What I think is best, may not be the best. I can pray for higher pay and more flexibility. If I ask for bread, will God give me a stone? Or a fish, will I get a serpent? Of course not! But if I ask for a stone or a serpent, and God's ways and thoughts are higher than mine and He always works for my good, then I will always receive bread and fish. It may not be what I want initially, but I will trust that it is best.

I need to be more like Christ and less like the world and if it takes not getting a job to rid me of my self-reliance that is keeping from being more like Christ, then so be it.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I love you. And I am so proud of you.