Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Easy Mac vs. Diligence

I ate Easy Mac today. I really didn't want to make anything too complicated. How bad could it be?

I was shocked at how terrible it was compared to regular mac 'n' cheese. All to save 5-10 minutes. Disgusting.

"The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing,
while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied." 
-Proverbs 13:4

What a profound Biblical truth. When I crave the Word of God but my laziness wins out, I get nothing. But my soul is saturated with all it needs and more when I spend diligent time in Scripture.

What do I desire more? The pool of Easy Mac I am wallowing in or an infinite God who provides for all of my needs all of the time and is entirely satisfying without fail from before time began to eternity? I hope that it is the latter.

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
-C.S. Lewis


Lord, I pray that I will desire that which satisfies me the most.

No comments: