Wednesday, October 06, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Aug/Sep Report

So, I put off updating you on my progress for a couple of months since I had not really finished any books at the end of August. But now I'm good. I'm going to be crunched to get all 52 in by the end of the year, but I should get close. Hopefully.

    Fletcher's biography of Bill Wallace is a decent read. Not the first biography I would pick up if I were in a biography mood though.

    In contrast, Bainton's treatment of the life of Martin Luther may be the best biography that I have ever read. I would pick this biography up if I were in a biography mood.

    The Story of Christianity is a simple, readable, two volume set of church history books. If you are interested in church history I would recommend the set. Gonzalez is a liberal which shines through at some points, but overall his treatment is endorsed by the faculty here at Southern.

    Perspectives on Family Ministry is an unhelpful attack-fest by three people who want their individual family ministry model to be the coolest. If you are interested in family ministry types, don't read this book; the dialogue format does not do any of the models justice.

    C.J. Mahaney's Humility is a quick read. It is very beneficial in thinking through exactly what "true greatness" is according to Scripture. I highly recommend it and I think that it would make an excellent book study or teaching opportunity.

    Finally, Peacemaking for Families contains helpful information that is slightly disconnected from reality in its application. I would read it with that in mind.

    So with these six books the count stands at thirty-five. Here are the books I have read not including the ones mentioned above.

    No comments: