Monday, June 08, 2009

Goodbye, Sunwest One

Rebekah and I are spending our final hours in Fargo. So, this week I will dedicate some time to writing about some things that we will miss.

Sunwest One, Apartment 132

Prior to our mid-July marriage, Rebekah and I signed a lease for Sunwest One, Apartment 132 with the plan that I would move in and she would live with her parents until we returned from our honeymoon. I lived there for six or seven weeks before we were married. Jeremy spent a few of those weeks with me, sleeping on the couch.

For Rebekah and I, 132 was our first home. I carried Rebekah across the threshold as my new bride.

Sunwest One, Apartment 132 is proof that memories, not just material, can be housed within four walls.

This is where we had our first married disagreements and where we settled them. This is where we opened our wedding gifts and where we wrote our thank-you-notes. This is where Hastings would eat all our food and where Jordan would surf the internet. This is where we watched House, Band of Brothers, and The Cosby Show. This is where we made cake and where we invited people over so we would not eat the whole thing by ourselves. This is where we spent our first Christmas and where we shed tears remembering the holiday that would never be the same. This is where our married lives began.

Of course it is just an apartment, indistinguishable in many ways. But it is in a city that Rebekah and I have grown to love, and driving past it on the way to our new home, reminiscing about our time there, is not a reality; it will be hundreds of miles away.

We are grateful for our time in Sunwest One, Apartment 132; we will always remember it as the birthplace of our family.

No comments: