Sunday, May 02, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: April Report

I managed to finish five books in the month of April. Here they are:

All of these books were good, but I would hardly recommend sitting down and reading through all of them. The How and Why of Love and Evangelical Ethics were both books about ethical issues facing the Christian today. I would recommend reading the introductory chapters which deal with constructing a proper lens to view ethical issues through, but the discussions of the actual issues themselves are good to have as a resource, not to ingest in one sitting.

Biblical Interpretation is another good resource. But like the others, don't sit down and plow through the 600 pages. It is utterly dry and tedious. It is good to have on hand though as a history of the interpretation of Scripture.

How to Read a Book was a very helpful book. I found the discussion about assessing a book and giving it the time that it is worth quite profitable. Often times I plunge into a book without thinking much about the nature or quality of the book. This is an error and will hopefully be corrected as I seek to become a more active reader.

Finally, Desiring God is, hands down, the best book I have ever read. I encountered it for the first time five years ago and I did not realize the immense impact it has had on my perspective and world view. Reflecting on the discussions in the book for the second time was incredibly beneficial. I identify myself fully as a Christian Hedonist.

So, I am at twelve books now for 2010. Forty more doesn't seem like that big of a deal. In addition to the books listed above, I have read:

No comments: