Saturday, March 20, 2010

Words Theologians Like: Repudiate

Here is a nice little recurring post idea: "Words Theologians Like." Let me qualify.

Firstly, theologians tend to use the same word/words over and over again when it fits their agenda. Now some of this is necessary. There aren't many, if any, synonyms that communicate the same idea as atonement (which was a word that did not enter the English language until William Tyndale simply transliterated it in the sixteenth century), and there are other examples of terms that have to be used to communicate exactly what the author is conveying. So, I am not talking about those words. I am talking about the filler; the context in which those big, important theological terms exist.

Secondly, when I say "like," I mean abuse. And when I say abuse, I mean like in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and into The Order of the Phoenix where J.K. Rowling writes repeatedly that so-and-so "screwed up his/her face." All the freaking time. That is what I mean.

Finally, this is a shot (albeit a very respectful shot) at the writing of theologians. They are so consumed with sounding profound that they label stuffy, boring, unreadable writing as academic writing. The concepts theologians are discussing are already profound. Abusing some big words is not going to add to the subject matter. But don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of anti-academic, irreverent language where the author is always writing about "punching himself/herself in the throat" or maiming sentence structure and employing one clause disjointed paragraphs and inserting "c'mon" and text message lingo throughout. My point here is that theologians should try to be better writers. They read enough J.I. Packer and C.S. Lewis. One would think that they might garner some better habits.

With all of that said, the purpose of this recurring post is to expose words that theologians use too much. I will include a short definition and an example sentence.

Without further ado, "Words Theologians Like."

Repudiate

To divorce or separate formally from; to refuse to have anything to do with, disown; to reject with disapproval or condemnation.

"After an extensive study of eschatology, Timmy repudiated his view on post-millennialism."

No comments: