Monday, November 16, 2009

Christians and Alcohol: The Corinthian Matrix

In light of yesterday's post I would like to offer this as a helpful tool.

Daniel Akin has produced an excellent resource for determining a proper response in any ethical situation within the Christian context. He calls it the Corinthian Matrix. It is based on texts between 1 Corinthians 6:12-13:13 and it consists of ten simple questions.
  1. Will this action be helpful to me?
    “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything. -1 Cor 6:12

    “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. -1 Cor 10:23

  2. Will this action potentially enslave me?
    “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything. -1 Cor 6:12

  3. Will this action encourage my brother or sister in Christ?
    Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. - 1 Cor 8:13

    Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.
    -1 Cor 10:24
    Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God. -1 Cor 10:32

  4. Will this action help or hinder my gospel witness?
    If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. -1 Cor 9:12

    Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.
    -1 Cor 10:32-33

  5. Is this action consistent with my new life in Christ?
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. -1 Cor 6:9-11

    Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own. -1 Cor 6:19

  6. Will this action violate my conscience?
    Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.” If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience—I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? -1 Cor 10:25-29

  7. Will this action follow the pattern of the life of Jesus?
    Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. -1 Cor 11:1

  8. Will this action show love to others?
    If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. -1 Cor 13:1-3

  9. Will this action honor my body, which belongs to God?
    Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. -1 Cor 6:19-20

  10. Will this action glorify God?
    So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. -1 Cor 10:31
_____________________________
Earlier in this series:

No comments: