Sunday, February 15, 2009

Francis Chan and the Hour of Power

Rebekah and I are spending the weekend in the Twin Cities with my parents and sister. Last night we attended church downtown, freeing up our Sunday to relax and celebrate my mom's birthday which is on Monday.

So, this morning as I was making my way to take a shower I passed my dad flipping through the channels. He looked at me and said rather sarcastically, "We could watch Mac Hammond." I quickly responded, "I'll pass" and continued toward the bathroom. Then I heard a familiar voice. It was Francis Chan. I did not think Cornerstone Church had a Sunday morning program, so I stopped to take a gander. Indeed it was Francis Chan, but he was on the Hour of Power. This seemed paradoxical, so I sat down to watch the program (or what was left of it). I caught the last 10 minutes and it was very good.

Pastor Francis spoke about having an eternal perspective, leaving everything to follow Jesus, and being satisfied in Christ alone which seemed extremely ironic against the gaudy backdrop of exotic plants and an organ the size of Rhode Island in a glass structure that looks more like Paul Bunyan's greenhouse than a church. Maybe that's why I found it to be so interesting. You can watch Pastor Francis on the Hour of Power here or read his message here.

Then, after the message, a song, and a benediction, there was an anticlimactic promotion for a "blessing pillow."

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Finally. I've been waiting years to be blessed by a pillow.