Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Lay My Hand On My Mouth

Sometimes I feel pretty good about myself.

Stupid.

It really doesn't get me anywhere when I am trying to get my car out of a parking lot in -13 degree weather when I have a battery that has been dead and frozen for three weeks, a thick cover of snow on everything under the hood, a frozen shifter, surrounded by cars on each side, and a AAA membership that can't get me a tow for 18 to 24 hours in Fargo because of the blizzard.

After driving on the sidewalk with another vehicle to attempt a jump, melted jumper cables, battery swaps, tools so cold they feel like they are on fire, extension cords, flashlights, and blow dryers I'm not feeling good about myself anymore.

In fact I feel like an idiot. Whoever said "if you believe you can achieve?" That's pretty stupid.

I guess it's like God told Job:

Has the rain a father,
    or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb did the ice come forth,
    and who has given birth to the frost of heaven?
The waters become hard like stone,
    and the face of the deep is frozen.


I should put my hand over my mouth like Job (40:4-5) when God has said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your hand" (1:11). Why? Because God wants me to know that He alone is God:

Will you even put me in the wrong?
    Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?
Have you an arm like God,
    and can you thunder with a voice like his?

Adorn yourself with majesty and dignity;
    clothe yourself with glory and splendor.
Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
    and look on everyone who is proud and abase him.
Look on everyone who is proud and bring him low
    and tread down the wicked where they stand.
Hide them all in the dust together;
    bind their faces in the world below.
Then will I also acknowledge to you
    that your own right hand can save you.

Feeling good about myself can't save me. That is the direction I begin to travel when I start to trust in my abilities. I can't even get my car out of the parking lot.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Curtis said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Interesting post. I really appreciate you quality work. Keep going. I am following you because of great thoughts. Thanks for sharing such a nice information. nostalgia ice cream maker
nostalgia electric ice cream maker